Most men know that eating a clean & balanced, whole-food diet is critical. This means a diet that includes minimal (if any) processed and refined foods and avoids things like pre-packaged and frozen meals, sodas and other sugary beverages. You're not a kid anymore.
But what about your hormonal health?
Men’s health may not seem as complicated as female health, due to the fact that there are fewer hormones involved, but (to achieve optimal health) men should aim to support all aspects of their health in ways that are safe, effective, present few risks and improve quality of life.
Along with maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly, these 9 herbs and supplements are worth taking to support the health of any man over 50. Some of these are not well known, but you can find them online or at quality vitamin/supplement shops.
Here's my list:
1. Tongkat AliI’ll admit it has a funny name, but stick with me here. Tongkat ali is the root of a shrub that has been used to enhance virility for centuries. Quality clinical research has found it actually works.
A 2012 study found that tongkat ali significantly improved scores on the Aging Males’ Symptom scale (AMS), an international assessment tool used in screening for low-testosterone among men who were experiencing adverse sexual symptoms caused by testosterone loss. Even more impressive is how effectively tongkat ali also increased serum testosterone concentrations: The percentage of men with normal “T” levels rose from 35.5% to an amazing 90.8% in just 4 weeks! That's pretty good, right?
2. Beta SitosterolBeta-sitosterol is one of the nutrients European doctors routinely look to when their patients are struggling with the frustrations of prostate enlargement. While it doesn’t shrink the prostate gland, clinical research has found that beta-sitosterol effectively alleviates the symptoms of prostate enlargement, giving many men a long-awaited relief. A review of four clinical trials found that men who took the supplement had a better urine flow rate compared to men on a placebo. It's the real deal.
3. Fenugreek SeedFenugreek, a plant whose seeds are commonly used in Indian, African and Arabic cooking, has been used for centuries for its positive impact on everything from blood sugar maintenance to cholesterol balance. It's real claim to fame, though, lies in its ability to re-boot the 'mojo' of men who feel it dropping.
Fenugreek seeds are rich in a chemical compound known as saponins. According to the authors of one study, among the common saponins found in fenugreek is diosgenin, a steroid-like precursor for the synthesis of a number of sex hormones. The study, published in the journal Phytotherapy Research, reported that fenugreek boosted libido in 82% of men who consumed the dietary supplement in the six-week study. Additionally, 63% of the men taking the fenugreek noted an improvement in the quality of sexual performance and 67% of men indicated the herbal extract enhanced their sexual recovery time.
4. Fish oilIt’s been well established that a high-quality fish oil should be a part of everyone’s supplement regimen. The essential omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA have anti-inflammatory benefits that are particularly beneficial for men, thanks to their ability to reduce the inflammation that is a result of prostatitis.
Taken regularly, omega-3s may also reduce the risk of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate - either bacterial or non-bacterial in nature. BPH is the enlargement of the prostate due to a proliferation of prostatic cells in the prostate leading to rapid prostate growth. Both are uncomfortable and can lead to other health problems such as difficulty urinating, urinary frequency, pelvic pain and fatigue.
5. LycopeneLycopene is a carotenoid found in foods such as tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit and guava. This antioxidant is naturally found in the liver, prostate, skin, adrenal glands, lungs, colon and blood serum in humans. Epidemiological studies have shown that men who have higher amounts of lycopene in their bodies have a lower rate of getting prostate cancer. BPH is also greatly reduced in men who consume lycopene rich foods four-to-five times a week. If you are obtaining lycopene from tomatoes, the lycopene is more readily absorbed when cooked - such as with spaghetti sauce.
6. Saw palmettoSaw palmetto, or Serenoa repens, is widely known to help support a healthy prostate. It's a plant similar to the palm. Saw palmetto is often recommended for men over forty. That is the age at which an enlarged prostate becomes more likely to occur. Saw palmetto inhibits the action of the hormone dihydrostestosteron, which contributes to enlarging the prostate. This herb is also anti-inflammatory and may help increase urine output for men who are having difficulty. As a result, it may enhance male sexual function.
7. Nettle rootNettle root is also known as Urtica dioica. The root has been used traditionally and in studies either alone or in herbal blends to reduce the onset of prostatitis and BPH. It seems to have an effect on prostatitis due to its anti-inflammatory actions. As for BPH, it is usually triggered by an overproduction of estrogen and dihydrotestosterone. Both of which lead to prostate enlargement. Nettle root appears to interfere with the chemical processes that result in the production of the hormones that are involved in BPH.
8. Milk thistleMilk thistle (Silybum marianum) is essential in supporting healthy liver function. Depending on the health of the liver, it can help rebuild parts of it as well! In order for the prostate to remain healthy, your liver should remain in optimal condition in order to continue to effectively remove toxins from the body. Milk thistle not only protects the liver, it acts as a detoxifying agent in the body.
9. ColostrumColostrum helps support your body's immune system, proper metabolism and the production of HGH. This is about disease prevention, weight management and (critical for anyone over 50) anti-aging properties. You can read all about it HERE.
Disclaimer: I do market and sell colostrum supplements. Why? Because I believe in it that strongly, that's why. Colostrum would be my 'desert island' supplement. In other words, if you take nothing else, then you should be taking this. It does the same things for your body when you're over 50 that it did when you were a newborn.
There's more than one brand out there, but Anovite produces the only 6-hour certified colostrum in the world. In fact, virtually every product Anovite produces is colostrum based.
Start taking colostrum as a lifestyle and you'll be a new man.