Adding mushrooms to a meatless meal can largely accomplish the same thing. They bring great flavor with few calories, as well as nutrients like selenium, vitamin D, riboflavin, niacin, and several antioxidants.
Ingredients (Serves 2 - Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced or whole mushrooms (the standard grocery store kind are fine)
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon red wine
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir mushrooms in the oil and butter until well-coated.
- Stir in seasonings and red wine. Stir to coat mushrooms.
- Cook and stir mushrooms until tender, five to ten minutes.